Rekeying Your House in London
Security is always a top priority of any homeowner. While there are many ways to ensure this, the most common approach is to have reliable door locks and restricted key access. Setting these in place prevents unauthorised people from entering your home.
However, what if you’ve suddenly lost your keys? Or worse, you’ve had a case of burglary? The most logical course of action is to change your locks or rekey them. If you do not want to spend extra money on changing all the locks, then the latter option will be your best bet. This is where rekeying comes into the picture.
In this article, we’ll share what you need to know about rekeying—what it is, what reasons to do so, and the benefits it offers:
What to know about rekeying
In a nutshell, rekeying involves recoding the pre-existing locks to allow them to accept new keys. Along with this is changing the tumblers found in the lock cylinder to prevent older ones from working. In recent years, this security approach has increasingly become popular.
Top reasons for rekeying
If you’re wondering why people get their houses or locks rekeyed, here are some common reasons:
- Lost keys
- Security breach
- Burglary case
- Ex-roommates moving out
- Presence of valuables inside your home
- Peace of mind
Benefits of rekeying
With every popular security option, there are always advantages to them. Below are some of the benefits of rekeying your locks:
- Full security: It is the most robust security measure to protect your home from burglary, safety issues, and unauthorised access.
- Cost-effective measure: Despite its solid security measure, it is more affordable than getting your locks replaced or installing new doors entirely.
- Easy and quick work: It’s relatively simple and rather quick to have your locks rekeyed. On the other hand, replacing your locks can be quite laborious and time-consuming, and not to mention costly.
- Convenience: If you need to get the job done as soon as possible for your home’s security without any stress or hassle, rekeying will be your best bet.
Rekeying vs key replacement
Over the years, there’s an argument circulating whether you should get your keys replaced or locks rekeyed. Keep in mind that each has its pros and cons, so your ultimate decision all boils down to your budget based on a few factors. Here’s what you need to consider:
- Type of lock or door handle: If you’re looking to replace a high-end model, the cost will definitely add up.
- The number of locks to be replaced: If it’s a small number of locks, replacement makes sense. If it’s a large number, hiring a professional locksmith to rekey them will be an affordable option.
DIY vs professional service
Sure, you may resort to DIY solutions when it comes to rekeying. As long as you have the knowledge, skills, and expertise, then you’re good to go. On the other hand, if rekeying is not your expertise, then it’s best to leave the work to the experts. They have the industry experiences and tools to ensure the full security of your home.
At this point, you now have a robust idea of what rekeying entails. Be sure to consider the top reasons and benefits of doing so, especially if you want to ensure the safety and security of your home. Ultimately, choosing the DIY route and having professional service will depend on your budget and expertise.
Are you looking to rekey your locks? You’ve come to the right place! We have a team of emergency locksmiths in London, providing 24/7 unlocking door and car service, lock repair or replacement, as well as door repair and installation. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help!